Thursday, July 28, 2011

Black Wings, Black Words

Heavy week. Heavy heart.

I long for the arrogant certainty of childhood. I feel 30 looming. It's not going to be pretty.

Skype is one the wonders of the modern world. I made an account finally, patrick.landfair, add me. I'm lonely here, and would love to talk to you, whoever you are.

I've been devouring George R.R. Martin's "A Song Of Ice and Fire" saga. I'm 900 pages into his 4th book of the series, "A Feast For Crows". It's the weakest offering yet, but still pretty good. Too much political intrigue and introspection for me, not enough Direwolves and Dragons and 500,000 man battles. I can't wait to finish it and start on "A Dance Of Dragons", I bought a gigantic hardcover with special maps and stuff, its so much cooler than the paperbacks I'm used to. The way the story is going, this one is set up to be more action packed, at least to start.

My whole family has switched over to E-Readers and can't seem to stop espousing the merits of digital print to me, but I am not sold. I hate the grey screen of the kindle, and the backlit Nook. My eyes just don't feel good looking on them. It's somehow too stimulating, and far too sterile. I hate going one page at a time, it ruins the rhythm I have of skimming both pages quickly and then reading them more deliberately. I can't really explain it, but having two pages to see at a time is really important to me. I much prefer reading analog, and I don't think I'm likely to change my mind.

5 comments:

Alfredo Amoedo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alfredo Amoedo said...

Analog for life. I heard the series might go the way of "The Wheel of Time." The dude is like 70 right?

obsessed with moss said...

He's 62, I think he can finish the final two before he dies. He supposedly has a major story arc manuscript for the last two that he's provided for HBO, in such an event as they finish the series before he finishes the books. With the amount of money he's making on this series now, I'm sure he'll devote the majority of his time to it instead of editing and doing other novels in between. Who knows though. It's really good.

Moorea Seal said...

DUDE. I ran into Adrian at bank of america and he said that you plan on releasing the mopes album or you already have. Could I get a copy?
-Moorea

obsessed with moss said...

Yeah, email me your address! I'll send you a bunch!