Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What man has made of man

“Even in laughter the heart may ache, and the end of joy may be grief.” (Proverbs 14:13, ESV)

I have been having so much fun and feeling so sad over the course of single days, its kind of hard to ride sometimes. I want something that seems so close but so impossible all at once. The verse up above is in my mind all the time right now.

Springtime is a good time to be melancholic, because the rest of the world is constantly trying to snap you out of it. It doesn't really work, or maybe it does but it doesn't last very long... In any case its nice to know that nature cares.

Springtime is a good time for poems. I have been thinking of lots lately. Wordsworth is really nice in the spring I think. Flowers just have to take pleasure in every breath, I really believe it.


Lines Written In Early Spring by William Wordsworth
I heard a thousand blended notes,
While in a grove I sate reclined,
In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind.

To her fair works did Nature link
The human soul that through me ran;
And much it grieved my heart to think
What man has made of man.

Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.

The birds around me hopped and played,
Their thoughts I cannot measure:--
But the least motion which they made
It seemed a thrill of pleasure.

The budding twigs spread out their fan,
To catch the breezy air;
And I must think, do all I can,
That there was pleasure there.

If this belief from heaven be sent,
If such be Nature's holy plan,
Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man?


The verse that has been very healing for me tonight is:
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5, ESV)
I'm gonna go try to do that now.

2 comments:

anna church said...

Patrick, it seems that once again your thoughts reflect my own. The proverbs 14:13 verse is exactly how I feel often, you just seemed to say it better than I would have. Wordsworth is approriate for the spring for sure, that is a wonderful poem.

oh, the "On Spring" essay that we were talking about the other day is in fact by Samuel Johnson, it's from Rambler No 5.

Moorea Seal said...

here here. up down up down. but could you imagine being someone who always feels constant and super stable in their emotions and thoughts? our ups and downs can seem draining but at the same time they are so enlivening. i can't imagine the drear of never feeling shaken up. i'll take rushing highs and lows over a constant lull of life.

i am really glad you are my friend. and glad that more INFPs are popping their heads out of darken shadows lately.